In the late 1940’s, a small group of people saw the need to help the physically challenged in our community. They became the nucleus for a larger group of humanitarians, establishing the Sunshine Center of Indian River County in 1953. A year later, the Center was incorporated as a non-profit organization.
The Center’s first home was donated by W. C. Graves, Jr. and moved to the 17th Avenue location. In 1959, the Center directed its activities toward physical therapy and rehabilitation. The name was changed to The Sunshine Rehabilitation Center of Indian River County, Inc. In 1979, the Board of Directors voted to emphasize primary services by using the operational title of the Sunshine Physical Therapy Clinic and planned to expand facilities.
Ground was broken for a new building in 1980, and in the summer of 1981, the Clinic moved to its new home at the same address on 17th Avenue. The Clinic expanded in 1994 with the addition of a gym and fitness area.
We celebrated our 60th year of service to the community in 2013.
Various sources of revenue have funded operations and have included: fee for services, the county government, the Easter Seal Society, and the United Way. As a Medicare approved facility, the Clinic is now independent of all outside sources of revenue, depending upon fees for services, donations, and endowments to fund operations.
Staff from the Clinic is available for regular seminars to the community covering health-related topics including Preventing Back Injuries, Fall Prevention, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Osteoporosis, and Living with Arthritis.
Through the years, the Board of Directors, the staff, and the patients have been indebted to those humanitarians who, through their donations and endowments, have become a part of the Clinic’s history. Donor Questions